What is Hormone Replacement Therapy?
Hormone Replacement Therapy, commonly known as HRT, is a medical treatment that involves the administration of hormones to replace or supplement the body’s natural hormones. This therapy is often used to address hormonal imbalances in both men and women.
Who is Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) ideal for?
HRT is ideal for individuals experiencing the frustrating symptoms associated with hormonal deficiencies or imbalances. How do you know if that’s you? Unsure whether your symptoms might be associated with hormone deficiencies?
While there are some similarities between hormone deficiencies in men and women, particularly when it comes to low libido and fatigue, we’ve compiled two separate lists to help you consider whether you check enough boxes to book your consultation!
Symptoms of hormonal deficiencies or imbalances in men:
- Low libido: Decreased interest in sexual activity is a common sign of hormonal imbalances, especially low testosterone.
- Fatigue: Feeling excessively tired, lacking energy, and experiencing a general sense of lethargy.
- Erectile dysfunction: Difficulty achieving or maintaining an erection during sexual activity.
- Mood changes: Hormonal imbalances can contribute to mood swings, irritability, or feelings of sadness.
- Loss of muscle mass: A reduction in muscle mass, strength, and endurance despite regular physical activity.
- Increased body fat: Hormonal imbalances may lead to an increase in body fat, particularly around the abdomen.
- Sleep disturbances: Difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep throughout the night.
- Reduced bone density: Low testosterone levels can impact bone health, leading to decreased bone density and an increased risk of fractures.
Symptoms of hormonal deficiencies or imbalances in women:
- Irregular menstrual cycles: Hormonal imbalances can cause irregularities in the menstrual cycle, including skipped periods or unusually heavy flow.
- Hot flashes: Sudden, intense feelings of heat, often accompanied by sweating and a flushed face, commonly associated with menopause.
- Night sweats: Experiencing excessive sweating during sleep, often related to hormonal fluctuations during menopause.
- Vaginal dryness: Reduced production of natural lubrication in the vagina, leading to discomfort and pain during intercourse.
- Mood swings: Hormonal changes can contribute to mood swings, irritability, and feelings of anxiety or depression.
- Breast tenderness: Increased sensitivity or pain in the breasts, especially before menstruation.
- Fatigue: Persistent feelings of tiredness or low energy levels.
- Changes in libido: A decrease in sexual desire or changes in sexual satisfaction.
All of these symptoms can vary in severity and may also be indicative of various underlying conditions. That’s why we encourage everyone to schedule a consultation with our team in order to determine the best approach to help you restore the warrior within.
What are the benefits of HRT that I should expect to experience?
Similar to the cause of hormone deficiencies, the results of HRT treatment will vary from one individual to the next.
Generally speaking, the following benefits apply…
- Increased energy levels: HRT for men can lead to increased energy levels, reduced fatigue, and improved overall well-being.
- Muscle mass: It may contribute to the maintenance or increase in muscle mass, especially when combined with regular exercise.
- Libido: Improved libido is a common effect of testosterone replacement.
“My husband has been a patient at Viking since the beginning. I have been to some of his visits and find Josh to be thorough and professional. Josh took the time to explain to us lab results and make necessary changes. Josh is a caring individual and has helped my husband feel his best. I find prices to be fair and office staff very pleasant. I highly recommend Viking Medical Group.” — Paula D.
- Menopausal symptom relief: HRT can alleviate symptoms like hot flashes, night sweats, and mood swings during menopause.
- Bone health: Hormone replacement therapy may help maintain bone density, reducing the risk of osteoporosis.
- Heart health: Some studies suggest that HRT might have cardiovascular benefits for certain women.
“I was introduced to Viking Medical Group by a colleague for BHRT. (Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy). My consultation with the provider was extremely thorough. All of my labs were discussed at my follow up appointment along with a treatment plan. Since the treatment plan has been completed I have been followed up on regularly. I have to say I have been feeling great! I’m now sleeping through the night, going to the gym regularly and my body aches/joint pain have completely vanished. If this is something you’ve heard about and are interested in, definitely check them out!” — Stacey B.
General considerations when it comes to Hormone Replacement Therapy
All patients should schedule a consultation in order to understand the potential risks and benefits associated with HRT, according to their personal health and history, and in consideration of their symptoms and goals.
HRT plans are tailored to individual needs, considering factors such as age, health status, and medical history. Regular check-ups and hormone level monitoring are crucial to ensure the effectiveness and safety of HRT.
Ultimately, Hormone Replacement Therapy can be a transformative option for individuals seeking relief from hormonal imbalances who are ready to get Viking strong!